At OddsTrader, we take a look at two of the top games in CFL Week 4: Saskatchewan Roughriders vs. Montreal Alouettes and Toronto Argonauts vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Let’s go over some betting picks for this week.
Montreal Alouettes vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders
Saturday, July 02, 2022 – 07:00 PM EDT at Mosaic Stadium
- Saskatchewan Roughriders -4.5
- Over/Under 45.5
Saskatchewan Roughriders Analysis
After their first loss of the CFL 2022 season at Montreal, the Roughriders have a quick chance of revenge in the return fixture.
Last week’s loss in Montreal for Saskatchewan wasn’t as much a surprise as the one-sided nature of the match that ended 13-37.
- Quarterback Cody Fajardo had a nightmare match in Montreal
- Fajardo had a completion rate of barely 60% and was replaced in the fourth quarter by Mason Fine.
- D’haquille Williams record over a 100-receiving yards game and a touchdown.
- Williams was the best takeaway for the Roughriders in the offense.
- It’s a plausible excuse that the loss of Dan Clark impacted the Roughriders badly, looking at the score line.
- Losing wide receiver, Shaq Evans was another early blow that the Roughriders took on Thursday.
Montreal Alouettes Analysis
Last week was an impressive turnaround from the Montreal Alouettes who put in a much-improved home-field display to beat Saskatchewan Roughriders 37-13.
The Alouettes could count themselves unlucky to lose their opening two CFL matches by just a field goal so Thursday’s effort was impressive from all perspectives.
- Chandler Worthy seized the initiative from the off when returning the opening kick-off for a touchdown.
- As mentioned last week, veteran Trevor Harris did indeed get the start as the quarterback.
- Harris made it pay with a 75% completion rate and a touchdown.
- Defense, special teams’ dominance, and touchdowns accounted for the big difference between the two sides.
- David Cote was flawless in field-kicking as he went 5/5.
- Kaion Julien-Grant scored his first career touchdown.
Alouettes vs. Roughriders: CFL Betting Pick
This match may come down to whether the Montreal Alouettes are as dominant in defense again. They seized the initiative immediately and had a stranglehold on last week’s game.
We know the Roughriders are a little banged up with no Dan Clark or Shaq Evans so, despite this match being closer due to their home-field advantage, it’s there to be won for the Alouettes.
Last week the spread was a field goal to the Roughriders so, following the CFL odds, let’s trust the Alouettes to cover again this week on the road at a slightly bigger spread of 4.5 with Caesars Sportsbook.
Also, I am going to suggest an additional bet to a modest stake on the Montreal Alouettes winning the match at the attractive price of +274 with FanDuel.
CFL Pick: Montreal Alouettes +4.5 (-110) at Caesars Sportsbook
CFL Pick: Montreal Alouettes ML (+274) at FanDuel
Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Toronto Argonauts
Monday, July 04, 2022 – 07:30 PM EDT at BMO Field
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers -4
- Over/Under 42.5
Toronto Argonauts Analysis
After a drubbing last week in Vancouver for the Argonauts, they will need to reassert their Grey Cup credentials this week against the reigning champions.
The loss against the BC Lions can as no shock last week but the 3-44 scoreline accurately reflected how ineffective they were in Vancouver.
- Quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson was held to under 200 throwing yards.
- Bethel-Thompson was replaced in the fourth quarter.
- Head coach Ryan Dinwiddie said, “I’m totally embarrassed. That was a horrible display of football”.
- Wide receiver Brandon Banks and running back Andrew Harris will need to be more effective.
- The Argonauts may as well blood some rookies in the coming weeks.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers Analysis
It’s been a good start to the 2022 campaign for reigning Grey Cup champions, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who completed the double over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats last week with a 26-12 win.
Will this week’s test be more challenging away in Toronto?
- Kicker, Marc Liegghio had the perfect outing as the Bombers completely outplayed the Ticats.
- Defensive lineman, Willie Jefferson managed a fourth-quarter interception that led to a match-clinching touchdown.
- Jefferson said, “It was a good night at the office. Offense, defense, and special teams came out and did what we needed to do, to get the win”.
- Quarterback, Zach Collaros continued his solid start to the campaign.
- Collaros had a 66% completion rate and over 300 yards thrown.
- With last year’s Grey Cup final, the Bombers have beaten the Ticats in two of their last four competitive CFL matches
Blue Bombers vs. Argonauts: CFL Betting Pick
Last week at OddsTrader we opposed the Toronto Argonauts and managed to support the BC Lions at an amazing spread of -3.
I’m firm of the opinion that the Argonauts are an aging team, particularly through the spine with Bethel-Thompson, Banks, and Harris affecting all three phases. The betting firms are taking longer to adjust to that opinion looking at this week’s spread of 4.
That said, with this being a road trip and following the betting odds, I am going to take the safer option of the Winning Blue Bombers on the moneyline at -200 with Caesars Sportsbook amongst my best CFL bets this week.
CFL Pick: Winnipeg Blue Bombers ML (-200) at Caesars Sportsbook