Here at OddsTrader, we take a look at two of the CFL top games from week 3, the Calgary Stampeders vs. the Edmonton Elks and the BC Lions vs. the Toronto Argonauts
Calgary Stampeders vs. Edmonton Elks
Saturday, June 25, 2022 – 06:00 PM EDT at McMahon Stadium
Point Spread: Calgary Stampeders -9 (-110)
Over/Under: Under 51 (-110)
Stampeders Early Season
It’s a little poetic license to describe the early season wins by Calgary as a stampede but another victory wouldn’t do that description any harm.
It’s fair to say, the Stampeders can count themselves a little fortunate to go 2-0 with a couple of field-goal victories against the Montreal Alouettes and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to start their 2022 CFL campaign.
- Running back Ka’Deem Carey left the field early in last weekend’s game with achilles tendon concerns.
- With that context, to turn around a 0-24 first-half deficit vs. the Hamilton Tiger-Cats was a huge effort.
- Field-goal kicker, Rene Paredes was once again pivotal to Calgary’s success.
- Quarterback, Bo-Levi Mitchell had a 66% completion rate for 313 yards.
Calgary’s Early Season Form as a Stampede
If it was poetic license to describe Calgary’s early season form as a stampede, we could be doing so after CFL Week 3 which looks to have a one-sided encounter in the offing.
- The Elk’s defeat to the Roughriders continued their recent poor home-field form from last year.
- Quarterback, Nick Arbuckle managed a respectable 63% completion rate for 315 yards and one touchdown.
- Kenny Lawler had an exceptional 149-receiving yard and a touchdown from 12 receptions for the Elks.
- Undoubtedly, the Edmonton Elks need to sure up in defense.
- Head Coach Chris Jones said they deserved to lose and will need to improve in all departments but felt encouraged by a strong locker room spirit amongst the players and staff.
It looks to me like except for Ka’Deem Carey the Calgary Stampeders will be somewhere near full strength and a huge task for the Edmonton Elks.
We know the likely winners so let’s have a look at the spread. Nine is an awful lot to be confident about giving in CFL Week 3 but this match has the potential to be hugely one-sided.
Accordingly, the points total is set rather high at 50.5 but we know it’s plausible the Stampeders easily put up 30+ points.
In that context, it’s hard to estimate the Elks points so prefer the -9 to a modest stake on the Calgary Stampeders and the Bet365 price of -110 looks worth betting at OddsTrader.
CFL Pick: Calgary Stampeders -9 (-110) at Bet365
BC Lions vs. Toronto Argonauts
Sunday, June 25, 2022- 09:00 PM EDT at BC Place
Point Spread: -3.5 (-105)
Point Spread: +3.5 (-115)
Over/Under: Over 49 (-110)
BC Lions Great Star
The BC Lions come into week 3 of the CFL off a bye week having won their opening match impressively, also at home against the Edmonton Elks.
The Lions were pretty dam quick out of the blocks in week 1 of CFL leading 42-6 at halftime.
- Quarterback, Nathan Rourke made the position his when he threw three touchdowns, had two rushing touchdowns, a 90% completion rate, and nearly 300 yards in a dominant display.
- 2Running back, James Butler rushed for over 100 yards and two touchdowns.
- Head coach Rick Campbell was expecting a strong display although surprised at the lop-sided result. He was very happy with the clinical execution of plays they’d been working on in practice.
Toronto Argonauts Indicator Level
Having a bye in CFL Week 1, the Toronto Argonauts will be pleased to start their season with a win vs. the Montreal Alouettes A road trip to the impressive BC Lions will be an indicator as to the Toronto Argonauts’ level.
- The Argonauts controlled proceedings early doors vs. the Montreal Alouettes but could consider themselves fortunate with a 20-19 scoreline that saw the Alouettes miss a last-gasp field-goal attempt.
- Veteran wide-receiver Brendon Banks had a solid match with three catches, 39-yards, and a touchdown after his move from rivals, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
- Quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson had a solid introduction to the new season with a 70% completion rate and 270 yards thrown.
- Running back Andrew Harris had a strong game with 87 yards and 18 carries.
The Toronto Argonauts, look like an aging team with the spine of Bethel-Thompson, Banks, and Harris all being mid-30s.
That could account for fatigue in CFL week 2 on an extremely hot and humid night with the first quarter being played in 33 degrees.
With the weather in Vancouver warming up considerably over the weekend, it’s a huge ask for the Argonauts and I am confident that the BC Lions will cover the spread at -3 with Bet365.
CFL Pick: BC Lions -3 (-120) at Bet365