Boston-based bookmaker, DraftKings, has signed the King himself, LeBron James, to a multi-year agreement. The celebrity endorsement is expected to generate plenty of attention and capture new business as DraftKings tries to shed its Robin to FanDuel’s Batman image.
LBJ Reps DK
Terms of Lebron’s deal with DraftKings have not been disclosed but it’s fair to say he won’t be working cheap. Nevertheless, DraftKings believes having LeBron’s cachet as its brand ambassador will pay for itself, and then some, as the living legend’s social media profile is enormous and the buzz he will generate will undoubtedly attract a brand-new demographic.
Jason Robins, CEO and co-founder of DraftKings, said: “Welcoming one of the most influential and greatest athletes of all time, LeBron James, to the DraftKings family is an absolute honor and privilege.”
“We look forward to working with a passionate sports fan who shares the same competitive mindset that echoes throughout the walls at DraftKings while delivering exciting engagement opportunities to our customers and his loyal fanbase for years to come.”
LeBron has over 150 million Instagram followers and north of 52 million followers on X, formerly Twitter, which is a huge boon to DraftKings’ profile throughout not only North America but the entire world.
LeBron Does Football
The most recent NBA collective bargaining agreement (CBA) allows its members to represent sports betting companies as long as it has nothing to do with the league. Therefore, don’t expect to get any inside information on the Lakers, or any other NBA team for that matter, but what we can expect is LeBron making NFL picks.
It’s no secret that LeBron James, once a high school football player, is an avid NFL fan, and it will be interesting to see how DraftKings intends to utilize him during the 2024 NFL season. But what we do know is that DK is already running a promotion for the Super Bowl called the LBJ Replay Instant Bet Match that states the following:
- Place any bet on the Super Bowl and receive a Bonus Bet equal to your wager up to $50
- Must opt in and apply your token to a qualifying bet. Bonus Bet issued upon placement of the qualifying bet
- Minimum odds of -150 or longer (-125, +200, etc) for all bet types
- Your qualifying bet is eligible for Singles, SGP, and Live Bets on the Super Bowl
- One qualifying bet per user during the promotional period
- Bonus Bet issued after qualifying bet placement
- Wagering on this promotion must use funds from your cash balance or DK Dollars to qualify
- Token expires at the conclusion of the Super Bowl
- Bonus Bet reward expires 7 days after issuance.
But a DraftKings competitor, Caesars Sportsbook, is putting it all on the line for the Super Bowl with a matching bet of up to $1000 if your Super Bowl wager loses. This promotion is only good for first-time Caesars users and if the bet wins, the bonus bet will not apply but customers will receive their winnings in their accounts shortly after the Super Bowl ends.