Top U.S. Sportsbooks in 2023
Welcome to our detailed guide to the best online sportsbooks in the United States. OddsTrader can help you find legal, regulated online sports betting sites and sportsbook apps that offer sharp odds, fast payouts, and large bonuses.
Our experts have reviewed all of the online sports betting sites that operate in the United States, and they have narrowed the field down to the top six. We have reviewed the top U.S. sportsbooks within this guide, so you can decide which of them is right for you.
Their key strengths and weaknesses are mentioned, and we have also highlighted the best sportsbooks for beginners, professional bettors, and users experienced with offshore sportsbooks. Read on to discover the top online betting sites in the U.S., the promotions they offer, and the features they provide.
Looking for the best online sportsbooks for U.S. players?
|1||Caesars||UP TO $1,250 FREE New User Bonus T&C Apply.||Get 100% of your stake back as a Free Bet – up to $1,250 if your first bet loses!||Claim Offer|
|2||Fanduel||UP TO $1,000 FREE New User Bonus T&C Apply.||Get up to $1,000 back in free bets if you don’t win your first bet!||Claim Offer|
|3||BetMGM||UP TO $1,000 FREE New User Bonus T&C Apply.||$1,000 Risk-free Bet||Claim Offer|
|4||BetRivers|| UP TO $250 FREE
New User Bonus T&C Apply.
|Deposit $250 and you’ll get $250 in deposit match bonus||Claim Offer|
|5||BetWay||UP TO $250 FREE New User Bonus T&C Apply.||Get a risk-free bet for up to $250||Claim Offer|
Best Sportsbooks for U.S. Bettors
Our experts conducted a rigorous analysis of every single online sportsbook or betting site that has launched in the United States. They compared their findings and finally decided that these are the top six sportsbooks for U.S. bettors:
- BetMGM – Best sportsbook for live streaming and live betting
- Caesars Sportsbook – Top online sportsbook for bonuses and odds boosts
- FanDuel Sportsbook – Best mobile sports betting app in the U.S.
- DraftKings Sportsbook – Leading sportsbook for casual bettors
- PointsBet – Offers more types of bets than competitors
- BetRivers – Fastest withdrawals in the sports betting industry
Top Online Betting Site Reviews
The top six licensed sportsbooks selected by our reviewers performed well in a wide range of important criteria, which we have listed below.
However, they all have certain areas in which they excel, and they will apply to different bettors. Read our reviews of the top sportsbooks to find one that fits your requirements
BetMGM: Best Sportsbook for Live streaming and Live Betting
BetMGM is the best all-around online sportsbook in the U.S. The mobile app and the website use a proprietary software platform provided by co-owner Entain, which joined forces with MGM Resorts to launch BetMGM in 2018. It offers an accessible interface, loads of betting options, and features such as a bet editor, one-game parlays, and early cash-out.
This is the best online sportsbook for live streaming too. Some rivals offer live streaming, including FanDuel and BetRivers, but they stick to soccer, tennis, and international basketball. BetMGM offers those categories, but you can also stream live NBA games, MLB games, and MLB games. That helps make it the top sportsbook for live betting.
New customers will get a risk-free bet of up to $1,000. It also offers parlay bonuses, a referral bonus, and a loyalty program called MGM Rewards. BetMGM has more banking options than any other sportsbook, and it is also the leader in customer service.
Caesars Sportsbook: Top Online Sportsbook for Bonuses and Odds Boosts
Caesars Sportsbook provides all new customers with first-bet insurance worth up to $1,250. This is the latest in a long line of market-leading welcome bonuses that Caesars has rolled out over the past couple of years. If your first bet loses, it gives you the money back as a free bet of up to $1,250, which only has a 1x rollover requirement.
In 2021, Caesars Entertainment bought William Hill for $4 billion. The Nevada-based company rebranded the William Hill app and website as Caesars Sportsbook. It is now available in lots of states, where it generally offers larger bonuses and more odds boosts than any of its competitors. Caesars is a great option for high-stakes bettors, with very high maximum win limits and a VIP program.
FanDuel Sportsbook: Best Mobile Sports Betting App in the U.S.
FanDuel has fought off competition from determined rivals to emerge as the clear market leader within the U.S. legal sports betting industry. It holds the No. 1 position in all but two of the states in which it is live, including large states such as New York and New Jersey.
There are several reasons behind its success: it has the top-rated sportsbook app in the country, bettors are normally paid out in just 1-2 hours, the user experience is simple and effective, there are great promotions, and it has an excellent reputation. FanDuel is now branching out with its own TV network, and it has also launched a racebook and casino in some states.
It is still a DFS giant, but FanDuel is now mainly known for sports betting. New customers get a no-sweat first bet of up to $1,000, along with additional bonuses in the long term.
BetRivers: Fastest Withdrawals in the Sports Betting Industry
Chicago-based company named Rush Street Interactive launched BetRivers in 2019. It is the online sports betting and casino arm of the Rivers Casino venues in Pennsylvania, New York and Illinois. BetRivers offers instant withdrawals, which sets it apart from the competition.
The sportsbook uses Kambi’s turnkey software, so the user experience is the same as rivals like Unibet, but the live streaming and fast withdrawals elevate it above those brands. New customers receive a “2nd chance” free bet, meaning you get your money back as a free bet of up to $500 if your first bet loses. There are odds boosts and profit boosts available each week too.
How To Choose The Best Sportsbook
You can start out by identifying which sportsbooks are legal in your state. The filter tool found on any of our odds comparison pages can help. Just click on the arrow next to the “WORLD” option, and you can then choose a state from the dropdown menu. You will then be presented with only the sportsbooks that are live in that state.
The next step is to consider whether you have any deal breakers. For example, you might only want to use a sportsbook that accepts American Express, or perhaps Venmo. You might have a passion for lacrosse, so you will need to find a sportsbook that covers it. In those cases, your options will be more limited.
You can then consider your budget. If you are a casual player, you might like to consider DraftKings, as it has a minimum deposit of $5, no minimum withdrawal and the chance to win free bets each week by taking part in free-to-play contests. If you have a large bankroll, Caesars could be a good option, as it offers large betting limits and a great VIP program.
The final step would be to order your priorities as a bettor. Work out the issues that are most important to you, such as high-quality odds, quick payouts, 24/7 customer support, offering certain withdrawal methods, a good variety of sports, loads of bonuses, or features like live streaming.
Figuring out what you’re looking for in a sports betting destination will help you narrow down your gambling options.
If you cannot decide, just sign up with a few licensed sportsbooks in your state. That will provide you with several sign-up offers like deposit bonuses, and you can then use our odds comparison charts to find the best odds available at one of the sites you have an account with before placing any bet.
What does OddsTrader Look for in a sportsbook?
We divide our sportsbook reviews into 14 key areas, which we have listed below. The best online sportsbooks score highly in each category, providing all customers with a strong overall user experience.
- Bonuses and Promotions | We look for sportsbooks that provide exciting deposit bonuses, lots of odds boosts, various weekly promotions, and a rewards program. They should offer large bonuses with 1x rollover requirements and simple terms and conditions.
- Ease of Registration | Our experts assess how long it takes to sign up for an account with each legal sports betting site. They should make the process as quick and straightforward as possible, while still following all licensing conditions, such as KYC checks. After a few clicks, you should be able to make your initial deposit and get in on the sports action.
- Banking Methods, Speeds, and Limits | We also focus on the banking process at each sportsbook, monitoring deposit and withdrawal speeds, limits, and fees. The best sportsbooks offer instant deposits, speedy withdrawals, and broad banking limits to suit all bankrolls, and they never charge banking fees. Using crypto as a payment method can result in better payout speed.
- User Experience | Our reviewers focus on the quality of the user experience. The best sportsbooks are beautifully designed and feature high-quality software. They offer simple, effective navigation, with bet slips that populate effectively, and betting pages are laid out in a clear, intuitive, and uncluttered fashion.
- Quality of App | We test each of the sportsbook apps we review on both iOS and Android, monitoring the speed and simplicity of the mobile betting process. This allows us to discover the most powerful and reliable sports betting apps on the market.
- Sports Betting Options | Our experts focus on the range of sports that each site covers, along with the depth and breadth of the coverage. The best sportsbook operators cover more than 20 sports, with worldwide leagues featured alongside the major sports leagues, and they provide hundreds of betting options on an NFL, MLB, or NBA game.
- Live Betting Product | We test the quality of the live betting odds, the breadth of in-play markets, and the quality of the experience. The best sportsbooks make it quick and easy for customers to place live bets before the lines change, particularly via mobile apps.
- Quality of Odds | We factor in the quality of the odds on offer at a particular sportsbook during our review process, focusing on sides, totals, props, moneylines, futures, and alternative spreads and totals.
- Betting Limits | The best online sportsbooks provide very broad wagering limits to appeal to as many bettors as possible. We make a note of which sportsbooks are best for casual players, such as DraftKings, and which sites suit high rollers, such as Caesars.
- Sportsbook Features | We factor the number of extra features a sportsbook offers into our reviews. For example, BetMGM offers live streaming, a bet editor, early cash-out, one-game parlays, and various other features, which contribute to the world-class user experience it offers customers.
- Customer Service | We test out the customer support department during each sportsbook review, focusing on the speed of the responses, the quality of the answers we receive, and the general friendliness and knowledge displayed by the agents. The top sportsbooks offer slick customer service 24/7 through live chat, email, and sometimes over the phone.
- Security | We make sure each online sportsbook is safe before delivering our final verdict on it. The top legal sportsbooks use the latest encryption software to protect customers.
- Responsible Gambling | The leading sportsbook operators take their commitments to responsible gambling seriously, and they have strong records in this department. They provide advice and tips on how to bet responsibly, and you can choose deposit limits, time limits, and betting limits to keep your play in check.
- Reputation | We only recommend trustworthy, reputable brands that have demonstrated a long history of treating players with respect, grading wagers fairly, and delivering prompt and reliable payouts.
Where can you use an online sportsbook?
Prior to 2018, Nevada was the only state with legal online sportsbooks. The Supreme Court then decided to overturn a long-standing federal ban named PASPA – the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992.
That decision to make sports betting legal paved the way for each state to write its own sports betting laws, and open its own sports betting markets.
Lots of states have taken advantage of that opportunity. There are now online sports betting markets in these states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
The District of Columbia also has legal online sports betting.
In some states, there is just one sportsbook. Bettors in New Hampshire and Oregon can only use DraftKings, for example, while the lottery site has a monopoly in Montana.
A number of states have only legalized retail sports betting so far. In these states, customers can place different types of wagers at land-based sportsbooks and tribal casino locations. Online sports betting launch dates are on the horizon in some; in others, online gambling is not even part of the conversation yet.
They include Delaware, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Washington State, and Wisconsin. Maryland will soon introduce legal online sports betting, along with Massachusetts and Ohio, as they have all passed laws to that effect. Efforts are underway to legalize sports wagering in other states too.
Best Sportsbook Bonuses and Promotions
Most states have very competitive sports betting markets. That means sportsbook operators must work hard to attract customers, which inspires them to run eye-catching bonuses and promotions. They include sign-up offers targeted at new customers and weekly promotions for all customers. These are the best bonuses and promotions from sportsbooks:
This is the most common type of sportsbook sign-up bonus in the United States. You can qualify by creating an account, making a minimum deposit, and then placing a bet on a sport of your choice. If the bet wins, you keep the money. Any losing bets will be refunded with bonus credits, which need to be rolled over 1x before a withdrawal will be permitted.
Examples include the risk-free bet worth up to $1,000 at BetMGM or the various risk-free bets available at PointsBet. Some sportsbooks have stopped describing this type of offer as a “risk-free bet,” as it is not entirely free of risk.
You would need to be refunded in cash, rather than bonus credits, for it to be fully risk-free. FanDuel now calls it a “no sweat” first bet, and BetRivers calls it a “2nd chance” free bet, but the underlying mechanics are the same.
Deposit Match Bonus
This is another reasonably common sign-up bonus. It is widely available at online casinos, but some sportsbooks use it too. You just need to register and make a minimum deposit to qualify.
The sportsbook will instantly match a certain percentage of your deposit amount with bonus funds. For instance, DraftKings sometimes offers a 20% deposit bonus up to $1,000, and BetRivers has previously run a 100% deposit bonus up to $250. You need to complete the rollover requirements on the bonus credits before withdrawing.
Free bets are available through various sign-up bonuses and weekly promotions. For example, DraftKings regularly offers “Bet $5, Get $150” or “Bet $5, Get $200” bonuses. You just need to sign up and wager $5 to redeem the free bets, which then need to be rolled over once before cashing out.
You will also get free bets on a continual basis at the best sportsbooks. Some form of qualifying bet is typically required. For example, a sportsbook might offer you a $10 free bet if you wager $20 on a same-game parlay with 3+ legs.
You can visit the “Boosts” section at sportsbooks such as Caesars, FanDuel, and BetRivers to find a variety of odds boosts.
These boosts are rarely available on straight bets like moneylines, sides, and totals, but you can find interesting offers on prop bets, parlays, and same-game parlay combinations.
There will also be occasional odds boosts for new customers at leading sportsbooks. FanDuel offered new bettors a $5 bet at +5600 on either team to win the last Super Bowl, for example.
These deals are offered instead of the usual sign-up bonus on a limited-term basis, typically linked to sports events like March Madness, the Super Bowl, or the NBA Finals.
Profit boosts may be available on single bets or parlays at online sportsbooks. For example, BetRivers and Caesars give out profit boost tokens on specific sports throughout the week. BetMGM boosts your profits on winning parlays with 4+ legs by up to 40%. There are normally minimum odds requirements, and any extra winnings may be capped at a predetermined level.
There are various money-back specials available at the top U.S. sportsbooks. A common example is parlay insurance. If your parlay fails because a single leg lets you down, you will get your money back.
Another is first touchdown insurance, whereby you get your money back if your chosen player fails to score first, or overtime insurance, which earns you a refund if the game goes to overtime. The refund is invariably issued as a free bet, which has a 1x rollover requirement.
Contests and Prize Draws
Contests and prize draws are available at leading sportsbooks. DraftKings leads the way with loads of free-to-enter pools. You can answer questions about a future sporting event, and the players with the most correct answers win free bets.
FanDuel also has lots of contests, and Caesars stands out for its prize draws. Many sportsbooks now sponsor pro teams, and they often run prize draws linked to those teams, such as memorabilia, tickets, or game day experiences.
Most sportsbooks run rewards programs. Each time you place a bet, you will earn credits, which accumulate within your sports wagering account.
You typically earn more credits for placing a parlay than a straight bet. The credits are then redeemable for free bets and other rewards in the bonus store.
Many programs also tie in with land-based casinos owned by the parent company. For example, Caesars Rewards covers the sportsbook, the online casino, and all of the company’s retail venues.
MGM Rewards covers the online sportsbook, casino, racebook, poker room, and land-based casinos like Bellagio, MGM Grand, and Borgata. You will earn rewards at those venues, based on which level of the loyalty program you reach.
What are the best sports to bet on?
You can bet on at least 20 sports at the best mobile apps and sportsbook sites in the U.S., but there are a few that really stand out:
- Baseball | You will often notice that sportsbooks make a smaller margin on baseball bets than any other sport. If you conduct extensive research, bet when there is a perceived edge, shop for the best lines, and identify interesting underdogs, baseball is arguably the best sport to bet on.
- Football | Sportsbooks generally reserve their best bonuses, promotions, and odds boosts for football bettors. You will also find loads of prop bets on games, plus more futures betting options than any other sport.
- Basketball | This is another great sport to bet on, as there are thousands of games each year, and top sportsbooks offer hundreds of markets on the biggest games. There are always lots of player props in NBA games.
- Hockey | There are often lots of compelling NHL betting options available on every game, along with interesting futures markets.
- Soccer | Bettors will find more markets available on soccer games than any other sport at U.S. sportsbooks. They cover dozens of leagues too.
- Tennis | This is one of the best sports for live betting. Some sites accept wagers on the outcome of each point during a match.
- Golf | Golf is another great sport for live betting when a tournament is in action. It is difficult to pick the winner of a tournament, so sportsbooks offer all sorts of 2-ball and 3-ball matchups and props to keep things interesting.
- MMA/Boxing | You will not find many wagering options on UFC or boxing bouts, but these sports are nevertheless popular among bettors. The top sportsbooks offer moneylines, methods of victory bets, total rounds, and wagers on whether a fight will go the distance.
- Motorsports | Bettors can choose from a few options on NASCAR and Formula 1 races, while IndyCar races are sometimes featured too.
Best US Sportsbooks By Category
Some sportsbooks are perfect for newcomers, as they make the process very simple. Others work well for pro bettors, thanks to the early lines and sharp odds available. These are some of the key categories our readers might be interested in:
Best Sportsbook for New Bettors
We would recommend FanDuel for new bettors. It has a sharp, stylish interface, but everything is designed to make the wagering process as simple as possible. There is also 24/7 customer service, so you can receive help quickly at any time of day or night if you get stuck. You can benefit from various Betting 101 guides too, so this is a beginner-friendly sportsbook.
Best Sportsbook for Professional Bettors
PointsBet is a great option for professional bettors, as well as sports bettors that have previously bet with offshore sportsbooks. PointsBet provides reduced juice sports betting lines on NFL sides and totals, which is a very attractive quality. The moneyline odds are generally above average too. PointsBet is also quick to release its lines. It offers more betting markets than any rival, and there is a “Name a Bet – Request Now” feature. Sharp, experienced bettors can also delve into the high-risk, high-reward world of PointsBetting.
Best Sportsbook for Live Betting
BetMGM reigns supreme when it comes to live betting. You can live stream NBA, NHL, and MLB games, plus action from sports such as tennis and soccer.
FAQ: Best Sportsbooks for American Bettors
The best online sportsbooks will pay out your winnings on the same day you request a withdrawal.
For example, BetRivers has an automated payment system named RushPay, which approves most withdrawal requests instantly, so you will get your funds straight away if you select Play+ as your method.
FanDuel also pays out most customers within 1-2 hours, while BetMGM and Caesars Sportsbook pay out quickly via certain methods. You can speed up the process by opting for one of the quickest methods, such as Play+ or PayPal.
There are lots of successful sports bettors. Many bettors enjoy short-term success, but you need to work hard and apply statistical rigor if you want to succeed in the long term.
Sharp bettors flourish by only placing wagers when they feel they can gain an edge. They shop for the best lines, seek out opportunities to fade the public, use arbitrage, and harness advanced analytics to come up with strong picks.
The best sportsbook app depends on your budget, the sports you like to bet on, and your preferences as a bettor.
BetMGM is a very strong all-around online sportsbook, but some high-rollers might prefer Caesars Sportsbook, while DraftKings is a great option for casual sports bettors.
We have provided detailed reviews of the leading sportsbook apps, so you can check them out and decide on the right one for you.
Sports betting is legal in Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming, along with Washington DC.
Some of those states only have retail sports betting, but most permit online wagering. There is also limited sports betting at tribal casinos in New Mexico and North Carolina. Massachusetts and Ohio will soon introduce legal sports betting too.